Monday, May 23, 2011

Moar Projects

More summer projects and progress reports:


This weekend I did two things that have been on the list for a long time, always seeming so easy to finish yet so hard to start.  I'm proud of me.


1.  Change the front break on my bike


This took a while for me to get to because I was afraid of having to do the first serious alteration to my mountain bike setup.  The backstory is pretty simple - my front brake pads kept rubbing my brake rotor (it's a disc brake setup) and it led to the most goddamn annoying sound that I've ever heard come from a bike.  It was like a banshee wail when I needed stopping power and would send shuddering spasms up my bike, like some sort of lever activated doomsday device.  Think Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber.


Anyways, I bought a new pair of Avid mechanical disc brakes and levers off of Chainlove for cheap and decided to replace the whole Hayes Stroker hydraulic assembly I had on before.  I probably could have just changed the rotor and seen if that helped, but I was curious about the whole process of installing the breaks so I went for it.  It was easy to mount everything, but a pain to align.  After a few tweaks and about an hour of messing around, I finally got it ready to go and took it for a spin.  No more Jim Carrey screaming in my ear, although I can really feel the reduction in stopping power from hydraulic to mechanical disc brakes.  At least theses are much more adjustable.


It's funny, all I had to do was start, and then it all went so smoothly.  Let this be a lesson to us all (me).


Like a boss.


2.  Make a planter


Bryce and I decided to go about this one the easy way.  I originally wanted to build it out of wood and make it look cool, but when confronted with the fact that money does not spontaneously generate in my wallet, it quickly became clear another solution was required.  We found that every goddamn planter in Home Depot is  either 30 bucks or higher for something that is basically just plastic, so we got a storage tub for 4 bucks and called it a day.  We have sweet basil, oregano, rosemary, cilantro, mint, and cinnamon basil in the storage tub and another plant of jalapeƱos in an old lychee jelly tub.  Ballin'.  Herbs ahoy.


Pictures forthcoming.


Mission accomplished.


Oh yeah, good job everyone on surviving the rapture.  I knew us heathens could do it.


Peas.
-Dt



No comments:

Post a Comment